HALAL FOOD & GROCERY STORES
WHAT IS HALAL FOOD?
The word Halal, means permitted or lawful. Halal foods are foods that are allowed under Islamic dietary guidelines. According to these guidelines gathered from the Qu’ran, Muslim followers cannot consume the following:
- pork or pork by products
- animals that were dead prior to slaughtering
- animals not slaughtered properly or not slaughtered in the name of Allah
- blood and blood by products
- carnivorous animals
- birds of prey
These prohibited foods and ingredients are called haram, meaning forbidden.
Halal is ONE of the Most Humane Methods of Animal Slaughtering
Muslims are taught through the Qu’ran that all animals should be treated with respect and well cared for. The goal is to slaughter the animal, limiting the amount of pain the animal will endure.
When an animal is slaughtered, the jugular vein is cut and the blood is allowed to drain from the animal. Remember, Muslims are prohibited from consuming animal blood.
Halal is Islamic dietary law that applies, among other things, to meat and poultry, specifically prescribing certain slaughtering and processing practices. Like some other religious dietary practice, halal prohibits pork and alcohol consumption.
PRESPECTIVE & COMMENTS
One of the most asked questions we hear is, what is Halal food? What does Halal mean? How is it different from Kosher? Where can we find Halal food? I see food carts in the city selling Halal food, what does this mean?
What is Halal food & what does Halal mean? Having worked in the food service industry for many years and have answers all sorts of questions regarding Halal foods. The simplest answer is, certain foods are not allowed for consumption. Please read the above definition of Halal. Halal foods and products are a must in a Islamic household. Today, Halal foods & products are widely and easily accessible.
Note: Halal foods are like kosher foods to kosher eaters and vegetarian/vegan foods are to vegetarian/vegan eater. It is a way we as inviduals choose what to eat and where to eat.
How is it different from Kosher? Difference between Halal and Kosher is the belief of what makes the food Kosher and Halal. Kosher foods are prepared in accordance to the Jewish Dietary Laws. <- click here to read more.
Where can we find Halal food? Lately most of your email’s have been about where to find Turkish Grocery Stores & Middle Eastern Products, here is small listing of places I enjoy shopping from. The grocery stores listed below sell HALAL products. Please feel free to recommend more.
TURKISH & MIDDLE EASTERN GROCERY STORE LISTINGS
- Aunt Halime’s Halal Meat & Poultry Market Inc – 7005 3rd Ave Brooklyn, NY 11209
- Balady Halal Foods - 7128 5th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
- Bulut Meat & Grocery Market - 7919 5th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
- Efe Market - 2741 Ocean Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11229
- Sahadi Fine Foods - 187 Atlantic Ave Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Visit Nutsonline.com - Sell a larger variety of the finest nuts in all of New York!
- Sultan Market - 2732 Ocean Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11229
- Sweet Delights - 1067 Brighton Beach Ave Brooklyn, NY 11235
NEW YORK CITY
- Amish Markets - Carry some variety of Turkish & Middle Eatern Products.
- Garden of Eden Gourmet - Carry some variety of Turkish & Middle Eatern Products.
- Kalustyan’s - 123 Lexington Avenue New York, NY 10016
- Middle Eastern Grocery & Halal Meat - 1700 Hylan Blvd Staten Island, NY 10305
- Mecca Mart - 2111 Forest Ave Staten Island, NY 10303
- Sunny Grocery - 4526 43rd Ave Sunnyside, NY 11104
- Ak Market - 251 Crooks Avenue Paterson, NJ 07503
- Istanbul Market - 931 Main Street Paterson New Jersey 07503
- Carrado’s Market - Various locations in New Jersey
- Nizam Market - 608 Anderson Ave Cliffside Park, NJ 07010
- Superior Halal Meat Market - Hasan Orman - 878 Main Street Paterson, NJ 07503
- Nazar - 1474 Deer Park Avenue North Babylon, NY 11703
- Angora Food Market - 2690 Route 112 Medford, NY 11763
- Mekan Gyro and Grill - 3135 Route 112 Medford, NY 11763
- Hizir Baba - 40 McDermontt Ave Riverhead, NY 11901
- Pita House - 680 Route 112 Patchogue, NY 11772