SAHUR TABLE ESCAPE & SKILLET EGGS IN TOMATO SAUCE
I can not believe how quickly another year has passed and here we are in another glorious month of Ramadan. Ramadan Kareem my dear readers, hoping you all have had a good start to Ramadan this year. The first several days take a bit getting used to and then it smoothing sailing along. Well at least I hope it will! Its really hot and humid here in New York, where ever you maybe I hope that you are having a nice and comfortable Ramadan.
Ramadan is always very special time of the year, fasting always makes me crave various foods and when I get home from work, I rush into the kitchen to begin cooking. I cook, I clean and I set the table for for iftar and iftar is always welcomed with a big relief and rewarded well. Another important meal is sahur, yes waking up in the middle of the night is not pleasant but it plays a huge roll in keeping our energy level high and balanced through out the day.
After, I’ve cleaned up and washed the dishes from iftar, I stay in the kitchen a few extra minutes and make small preparations for sahur. Hence, between iftar, sahur and sunrise our time is very constrained and taking those extra few minutes to prepare makes sahur a little bit more easier for me.
One of my favorite foods to prepare for sahur, is eggs in various ways. Since its summer and tomatoes are in abundance, I thought I’d share a great summer skillet eggs in tomato sauce.
This recipe and sahur image first appeared in the newly published ‘Portakal Agaci’ Magazine, Istanbul, Turkey, July 2013, for a ‘Ramadan night in New York City’ feature I was honored to be a part of.
Skillet Egg in Tomato Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions diced small
- 4 large tomatoes diced small
- salt for taste
- black pepper for taste
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 6 large eggs
- grated kashaval for garnish
- Heat oil in large skilled for medium heat. Add in diced onions season with salt and saute until soft.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes. Cut into cubes, add into the onion, season with salt. Saute and cook until tomatoes are soft and have a loose sauce. 15-20 minutes.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, make a well into tomato sauce and crack 1 egg into well. Repeat process with remaining 5 eggs. Arrange the basil’s on top.Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked.
- Top with a sprinkle of cheese and serve with sauce immediately from the skillet.