- 2 medium onions – chopped fine
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 3 medium sized Italian pepper – chopped fine
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of red pepper paste
- 1 lemon – the zest & the juice
- 2 cups of medium size bulgur – cracked whole wheat
- 3 cups of water or stock
- In a medium sauté pan, heat up the olive oil, add in the chopped onion and sauté till translucent. Add in the finely chopped Italian peppers and let sauté until soft. Add in the cup of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of red pepper paste.
- Add in your bulgur and stir, then add in the 3 cups of water and mix well. Add in salt – season as per your liking. Finally add in the zest and the juice of lemon. Stir and cover and let cook over low to medium heat, for about 15-20 minutes.
- The bulgur will have absorbed the liquid, remove from heat and let stand to cool. Fluff with fork and serve warm or at room temperature