ZUCCHINI WITH CHOPPED MEAT
During the week night, I hunt for easy and quick recipes to make, for essence of time and for simple clean up. I think it’s the clean up process that consumes most my time after cooking. How can one person go through so many pots and pans and utensil while cooking. Well, I can assure you, I am way better then before! I think so, but my mother tells me otherwise! That’s why dishwasher were invented right?
This is a simple dish to make and the clean up is even simpler ’cause everything is cooked in a single pot. A side from its simplicity, this recipe contains something from all food groups and the ingredients could not be any healthier. The dish can be a great vegetarian recipe minus the chopped meat.
Zucchini with Chopped Meat
- 2 medium size onions – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 250 grams, 1 cup or .75 lb of chopped meat – beef or lamb
- 4 medium size green zucchini – diced into quarters
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of white rice – rinsed
- yogurt for dressing & dry mint for seasoning
- In a deep cook pot over a medium flame, heat up the olive oil. Add in the diced onions and saute for several minutes. Add garlic and let saute for a couple of more minutes.
- Add in your chopped meat and break into tiny pieces with your wooden spoon. Flavoer with a small pinch of salt and mix well with the onions and let cook until the chopped meat is cooked through.
- Once the meat has cooked, add in the tablespoon of tomato paste and stir into the meat mixture.
- Add in your quartered zucchinis along with the rinsed white rice, add salt (as per taste) and give the pot a nice stir.
- Cook till the zucchini is soft and turns to a lighter greenish brown color, about 30-40 minutes, stiring occasionally. *No need to add water, the excess water released from the zucchini will cook the rice.
- Once cooked, let cool for several minutes, ladle into a serving dish, top with a couple spoons of yogurt & sprinkle with dry mint.
Afiyet Olsun! Enjoy!Print