A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma

ad food1 A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma

So finally I did it! Did what? Updated the A&D Turkish Food Markets page! This one took some time, its’ not that its’ hard, it is time consuming.  Lately I don’t have much time on my hands.  I had a half day from work a few weeks ago and having a half day really came in handy.  After work, I hopped on the train and headed to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to see mom and dad and most importantly take pictures of the store!

Pastirma

pastirma slicing A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma

That day I must have taken like 300 – three hundred photos of the store, my memory card read “full” and I was not even half way done.  I deleted all my sloppy photographing and snapped away at some more.  Finally this weekend I made myself sit and go through all the photos, photoshopped, uploaded and arranged them all.  I would have liked to add more but I believe this is sufficient.

So click here and look at the foods we sell!  Visit us soon and leave us a few comments along the way.

pastirma slicing 1 A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma

What is pastirma? You have seen the picture above and might be wondering what this deliciously looking thinly sliced pieces of meats are.  Pastirma or Bastirma is highly seasoned air-dried cured beef meat.  Thinly slices will resemble italian prosciutto but made with beef.  Pastirma is well known through out the Middle East as well in Greece, Balkan Regions & Armenia.  As Wikipedia states known in the cuisiens of the former Ottoman countries.

It is prepared with the shell steak part of the beef with all the water squeezed out and then covered with a mixture of spices called Cemen known as Fenugreek.  Cemen consists of the following spices; cumin, garlic, fenugreek, paprika and a few other ingredients.

Growing up my grandfather and father used to make this from scratch and my brother and I would watch them as they made the pastirma.  Later on my father thought me and my brother how to make it as well, but let me tell you preparing and then having to dry the pastirma is not easy as explaining it or rather eating it.

Their are several ways to make and serve pastirma and it will differ in each country.  One of my favorite ways to eat pastirma is as.  Is great as appetizer - mezze with some bread or you can toast it in between two slices of bread with some kasar cheese or mozzarella cheese.

The pastirma must be thinly sliced and each block should have a little bit of fat, the fat makes the pastirma soft that it just melts away in your mouth.  Another way to prepare and it is with eggs, in soups and cooked with kidney beans.  We also like to top it on top of pizza. I will post the recipes as I make dishes with pastirma.

aunt melek pastirma A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma

My aunt Melek slicing and packing away.

@ A&D Food Marketmy father still makes it when it is specially requested and when he has the time to. The most popular brand here in the states is Ohanyan Brand.  We sell it for $14.99 a pound – we also well Eygptian style pastirma.

pastirma 1 A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma

FYI: Try to avoid eating it during the summer, you will smell just like cemen. The thing is once you start you just can’t stop.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma”

1. Mrs Ergül on 27 Jan 2009 at 1:39 AM #

Wow! I have just learnt a little bit more about Turkish food! Thanks Aysegül!

2. NYSDelight on 27 Jan 2009 at 8:32 AM #

@ Mrs. Ergul – Your welcome!

3. liz tortorella on 06 Sep 2010 at 6:31 PM #

This store looks great! I will definitely visit next time I’m in the neighborhood. I live far now (miami) but my grandparents lived in Bay Ridge and I have fond memories of that place. I married a turkish man and I absolutely love turkish food…i wish you could open a store here! Best of luck- I love your site too. Very informative…

4. Turkish store | CalBrownies on 04 Mar 2011 at 4:40 PM #

[...] Pastirma, turkish grocery, tea, najjar coffee, turkish meat store,A&D Turkish Food Market & Pastirma … This store looks great! I will definitely visit next time I’m in the neighborhood. I live far now (miami) but my grandparents lived in Bay Ridge and I have fond memories of that place. I married a … Tags: brooklyn, najjar coffee, Pastirma, tea, turkish grocery, turkish meat store… [...]

5. Michelle on 12 Jul 2012 at 6:25 AM #

Hi was wondering if you know the difference between jambon and pastirma in the Turkish context as now in supermarkets here in Turkey you can find Hindi Past?rmas? (Turkey Past?rma)? My Turkish friends insist pastirma must be made of beef but if there is both pastirma and jambon in beef and hindi then the difference must be in the way they cure it?

By the way the Hindi Past?rmas? is done in black pepper and is sooo delicious!

6. admin on 13 Jul 2012 at 12:11 PM #

Hi Michelle – I am not very fimiliar with jambom, but from reading on the web the concept seems very fimiliar to Turkish patirma. Turkish patirma is air dried in a pungent spice mixture called CEMEN. Patirma is made from 100% beef meat only. Often from the beef cuts known as strip steak or shell steak more commonly in the USA.

Hindi Pastirma is a Turkey Pastrami – which is VERY different from Turkish Pastirma. (don’t confuse the names) Turkey Pastrami as I considered is a cold cut like bolonga or salami. It is brined and then cooked or steamed and is mostly spiced with black pepper and a few other spices.

Hope this clarifies your question. Great Question by the way!

7. abilik on 07 Mar 2014 at 5:08 PM #

Dear Ay?egül

Thank you for your blog. We moved to Sunset Park in July and because of this post found A&D. We LOVE your folks’ store and go often. Your dad is so very friendly–every customer in the store is Abi or Abla. Even if there were a Turkish grocery closer to us, (which seems inevitable doesn’t it? NYC is getting so Turkified) I think we would still go to A&D because we feel so welcome there.

–Abla ve Abi